Tuesday 11 June 2013

Othello - The National Theatre

It is a few years since I have graced a theatre for a Shakespeare play, but the glowing reviews for Othello at the National (http://www.nationaltheatre.org.uk/) persuaded me it was time I went again.  Indeed several of my friends had posted glowing comments on their Facebook pages. 

Othello isn't a play I know intimately, I have the gist of the story and the characters.  I did not realise it was so long, nor so funny in parts.

Nicholas Hytner's version with lighting by Jon Clark and designs by Vicki Mortimer is a triumph.  The contemporary setting works well, without any obvious clunky references to objects that couldn't possibly be lying around!  After all, it is about a general!

The cast is great and all equally deserving of praise.  Olivia Vinall's Desdemona's final scene was very moving.  Adrian Lester, well known on television, gave a gripping performance as Othello.  And Rory Kinnear's Iago was compelling.  To see him playing one person off against another, inciting murder or revenge was fascinating. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.